Soaring The 7 Seas: Flight Simulator World Journey

A flight simulator journey across the entire globe. The flight journal will be kept here with pictures and stories.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Getting Ready For the Journey

First of all, welcome to the blog where I'll be keeping you up to date on my flight around the world in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. I've been flying in FS for oh my gosh, it just occured to me, I'm nearing the 2 decade mark. Another 2 or so years would be my guess although I don't remember the first year to be precise. I was around 7 years old I'd say on a Commodore Amiga with FS2(It was pirated(Hey I was 7 I had no clue)). Anyways, I stopped with FS after a while when I got hooked on a fighting sim I think it was called Black Knights or something with an F/A18. Got back to FS when we got our first PC with FS5.0 and I've had every version since then except for 5.1. I've also experience space flight simulation with Orbiter where I've actually travelled to the Moon virtually in the Saturn 5 rocket along with 2 other people in the space equivelent of a VA called SimNasa. That was a few years ago too.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I have thousands of hours in FS spent throughout my life and not one round the world flight to speak of. I've attempted a dozen times only to be led away by some other activities. The closest I got was a flight all the way to Italy from a city near my hometown in Ontario, Canada. That probably took 10 or 20 hours of flying and I believe I was using the FSD Piper Navajo at the time. All other attempts barely got me over the pond. This time I figured if I blog it, I might have another reason to actually attempt to finish it.

So here's the deal. I'll be posting the actual rules most likely in the morning or afternoon tommorow(well today(it's 2am here)). But my plan is to fly the Cirrus SR22 payware from Eaglesoft on the Vatsim network. At this point I don't believe I'll be making any particular plans and I'll just fly as I go. I may go West, I may go East. I'll see how I feel when I begin. Anyone who's wanting to join me on any leg of the journey is more than welcome. Although I have some experience flying in formation with VUSN(Virtual United States Navy) previously, I would think we'd have to keep at least a few miles distance although we can probably group up a little bit as long as ATC on Vatsim allows it. All you'd need is an aircraft that will fly at about 110 to 130kts Indicated at 15k feet. Depending on the length of my leg, I may vary the speed. I'll be most likely flying the CF-CIL callsign on Vatsim and I'll try to post my flights ahead of time on here at least once in a while if you do want to join me.

That's it for now, I expect to post pictures of my journey on this blog with stories. I'll also post information tommorow as to more specific guidelines or rules I'll be following and I may begin the flight tommorow morning as well.

Have a good one. We'll see you on the flipside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home